July is National Blueberry Month and it’s a great time to remember all of the benefits that these sweet berries add to your life! From a fun family outing picking at a local farm, or adding to pancakes covered in maples syrup and the many nutritional benefits that are packed into such a small fruit – there is plenty for everyone to enjoy!
We are excited to share the many health benefits of blueberries, tips for picking and some creative recipes to try! Read on to learn all you need to know about this small delicious fruit that packs a nutritious punch!
Fun fact – the wild blueberry is that state berry of Maine!
- Rich in antioxidants- help to reduce oxidative stress which is produced naturally because of metabolism and also found in pollution, cigarette smoke and alcohol.
- Nutrient dense- a cup provides: Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Manganese and Dietary Fiber.
- Low in calories – although high in nutrients, they are low in calories.
- Other health benefits include: enhanced brain function, aid in muscle recovery, improves heart health, boosts immunity and strengthens muscles.
To learn more about the health benefits, check out our blog about Blueberries and Brain Health.
Tips for picking:
- Be prepared – you may be in the sun for a few hours. Wear a hat, put on sunscreen and stay hydrated.
- Blueberry picking season starts in mid July and goes until early August in New England.
- Only pick berries that are fully ripe (round, blue and not cracked) – those darker in color are the sweetest.
- A berry that is ready to be picked will roll off the stem easily.
- Bring a bucket to transport your berries home in.
Where to go blueberry picking in New England:
Parlee Farms – Tyngsboro, MA
Smolak Farms – North Andover, MA
Wards Berry Farm – Sharon, MA
Libby & Son U-Picks – Limerick, ME
Spiller Farm – Wells, ME
Bartlett’s Blueberry Farm – Newport ,NH
Creative blueberry recipes – with their sweet flavor and fun color it’s not hard to add this nutrient dense fruit into some of your favorite recipes. Check out a few of the more creative recipe ideas available, some of these come right from a Northbridge community kitchen!
- Add to ice cubes
- Mix in with your favorite salad
- Add to your favorite breakfast – pancakes, oatmeal, muffins
- Blueberry lime salsa
- Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Bruschetta
- Grilled chicken with blueberry guacamole
- *Blueberry Glazed Breaded Chicken
- Watermelon blueberry quinoa salad
- Blueberry lavender lemonade
- *Blueberry oatmeal cookies
*Northbridge Culinary Director recipe
Discover life at a Northbridge community
If you’re considering senior living for yourself or a family member, we hope you’ll visit one of our communities. You’ll find a maintenance-free, activity-filled and engaging lifestyle to help support your wellness goals.
You’ll also discover many benefits in a Northbridge Senior Living community, including our Signature Program S.T.A.R. Club (Sharp Thinking, Active Residents) – which offers our residents several activities to participate in with others, including:
- Daily exercise group
- Walking club
- Tai Chi & yoga
- Nutritional classes
- Library and book club
- Museum outings
- Artists in residence program
- Multi-generational music
- Genealogy Generations
If you are considering senior living as the right choice for yourself or a loved one, we invite you to Find a Northbridge Community near you to learn more. We look forward to getting to know you!