With colder weather and shorter days often comes the start of sniffles and sore throats. In preparation for the upcoming cold and flu season we wanted to share tips for staying safe and healthy during the colder months.
Here are 3 tips for Cold and Flu prevention from our Regional Director of Clinical Services, Rene Snook:
1. Get the shot: October is a great time to schedule your Covid booster shot and your flu shot! Either ask your doctor or schedule an appointment at your local pharmacy- check out Walgreens or CVS.
2. Handwashing, Handwashing, Handwashing: no, those are not all three tips but Rene shared that it is such an important part of staying healthy during flu season. Be sure to wash your hands the correct way.
Here are the 5 steps to follow to wash your hands the right way according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Wet hands with clean, running water.
- Apply soap and lather your hands by rubbing them together. Be sure to get between your fingers and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for a least 20 seconds. If you need help keeping time, sing the ‘Happy Birthday’ song twice.
- Rise lathered hands under clean, running water.
- Dry using a clean towel or let them air dry.
3. Avoid touching your nose and mouth: it’s important to keep your hands away from your face because they have picked up germs as you’ve traveled throughout your day. You’ve probably touched doorknobs, handles, pens/pencils, hard surfaces, etc. that germs live on- we need to avoid spreading those germs to our nose and mouth. To make sure we keep germs off of our hands, look to tip #2!
4. Keeping Healthy: maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a great way to fight cold and flu season!
The keys to maintaining a healthy lifestyle include:
- Getting plenty of sleep
- Regular exercise
- Drinking plenty of fluids
- Eating nutritious foods- our residents are fortunate to enjoy 3 chef prepared meals each day from our Eat Fresh, Eat Local menus!
We wish you luck, health, and happiness as we head into cold and flu season. Remember to always wash your hands, eat a well balanced meal (yes, we mean veggies!) and keep those hands away from your face (unless they’re freshly washed!) If you know someone who would benefit from the healthy and safe lifestyle of a Northbridge community during cold and flu season, click here to find a community near you!
Discover life at a Northbridge community
If you’re considering senior living for yourself or a family member, we hope you’ll visit one of our communities. You’ll find a maintenance-free, activity-filled and engaging lifestyle to help support your wellness goals.
We’re here to answer any of your questions and invite you to download our complimentary guide Choosing the Right Senior Living Community: A Step by Step Guide for Making an Informed Decision. Please contact us if we can provide further information or if you would like to schedule a personalized tour.