4 Practical Benefits of Having a Pet in Senior Living
Moving into a senior living community will be a big life change for your loved one. To make the transition easier we recommend making the space they are moving into familiar. This means bringing family photos, blankets and quilts from home, small pieces of furniture and other favorite items that will fit in their new apartment. For some it may also mean bringing along a pet! Northbridge is happy to offer pet-friendly communities!*
Similar to a family photo that your mom or dad might bring to their new apartment, a pet will provide a sense of comfort and home.
Here are 4 practical benefits of having a Pet in Senior Living:
- Exercise- all our communities provide a variety of exercise classes for residents but having a dog means that your loved one will have to go outside and go for walks! Not only is this a good form of exercise but it will ensure that mom or dad is getting out of their apartment and exploring the community multiple times each day.
- Easing Anxiety- it often feels like pets can sense when we’re stressed and stick close to us. If your mom or dad starts getting overwhelmed, sitting down and petting their precious cat might be just what they need to calm down.
- Providing Purpose– everyone, regardless of age, needs to feel a sense of purpose. Caring for another living being will provide that for your loved one.
- Familiarity- pets often bring a sense of familiarity to a new place. No matter what door you are walking into, your old family home or your new senior living apartment, your pet will always be excited to greet you.
Home is not so much a place but a feeling and the people in it, four-legged friends included!
*Northbridge allows for pets of certain sizes, please check with your community of interest about guidelines for moving in with a pet.
Looking to adopt? Here are a few of our favorite places to adopt a pet near our communities in New England:
Connecticut: Protectors of Animals
Maine: Animal Rescue League of Greater Portland
New Hampshire: Animal Rescue League of New Hampshire
Discover life at a Northbridge community
If you’re considering senior living for yourself or a family member, we hope you’ll visit one of our communities. You’ll find a maintenance-free, activity-filled and engaging lifestyle to help support your wellness goals.
You’ll also discover many benefits in a Northbridge Senior Living community, including our Signature Program S.T.A.R. Club (Sharp Thinking, Active Residents) – which offers our residents several activities to participate in with others, including:
- Daily exercise group
- Walking club
- Tai Chi & yoga
- Nutritional classes
- Library and book club
- Museum outings
- Artists in residence program
- Multi-generational music
- Genealogy Generations
If you are considering senior living as the right choice for yourself or a loved one, we invite you to Find a Northbridge Community near you to learn more.