September is Better Breakfast Month which gives us the perfect opportunity to not only remind you the importance of eating breakfast, but also share foods to start incorporating into your morning routine.
Breakfast is an important meal for people of all ages, including seniors. When we talk about the importance of breakfast, we don’t mean a daily donut glazed with sugar. Your breakfast should be rich with foods that contain protein, dairy and fiber like berries, eggs and nuts.
Why is eating breakfast so important? Check out a few benefits of eating a healthy breakfast:
- It will keep your body and brain fueled
- Eating less unhealthy fat throughout the day – waiting too long to eat may encourage unhealthy snacking habits
- Increased energy levels
- Helps with meeting the recommended daily amount of fruit and vegetables
Now that we know a little bit about why we should be eating breakfast, lets talk about what we should be eating.
Good breakfast options include:
- Berries– flavonoids in berries give them the vibrant colors as well and help to improve memory.
- Coffee & Tea– caffeine can help with improving concentration as you go through your day. Just be careful not to drink too much caffeine, it may effect sleep.
- Healthy Smoothie– for those who don’t love eating first thing in the morning, try a breakfast smoothie. Be sure to incorporate those healthy fruits and vegetables along with protein and dairy. Northbridge tip – try adding egg whites to your smoothie- it won’t change the taste but will add protein!
- Avacado Toast– known to must older adults as ‘what my child/grandchild orders when they go out to brunch’ avocado toast is a good way to get in some fiber along with healthy fats. It may be a bit of a millennial craze but don’t be afraid to give it a try!
- Eggs– classic but effective. Eggs are a great way to get in your protein first thing in the morning and are a versatile food that can be cooked in a variety of ways. Northbridge tip – try adding egg whites in with your eggs, this will give you more protein without adding extra fat.
Breakfast is a time, not a food – remember, breakfast is any food you eat in the morning. If you are not a big fan of eggs, oatmeal or toast, change it up a little bit. Try having a salad with chicken or a healthy wrap.
At Northbridge we encourage residents to enjoy an Eat Fresh, Eat Local breakfast every day in our dining room. Not only does this allow residents to fuel up for the day with food, it provides a great opportunity to socialize with friends. Sometimes the best part of breakfast, is who you enjoy it with!
We encourage our residents to share their favorite recipes with our Culinary Teams to incorporate in our menus. If you have a favorite breakfast meal, be sure to pass the recipe along to the Culinary Director!
Discover life at a Northbridge community
If you’re considering senior living for yourself or a family member, we hope you’ll visit one of our communities. You’ll find a maintenance-free, activity-filled and engaging lifestyle to help support your wellness goals.
We’re here to answer any of your questions and invite you to download our complimentary guide Choosing the Right Senior Living Community: A Step by Step Guide for Making an Informed Decision. Please contact us if we can provide further information or if you would like to schedule a personalized tour.